Window or Mirror

* a window is a book that reflects your life and a mirror is like a window into a different world.

Over the 2020 summer I read a book called “Greetings from Witness Protection” by Jake Burt. I think this book was more of a *window than a mirror for me because I don’t have any relatives who were/are in witness protection. I don’t know anybody who knows someone who has been/is in witness protection. I’ve seen other movies about witness protection, but I haven’t seen or read ANYTHING that depicts the day-to-day life of it. This book did a really good job of depicting a girl who had a dark past but she was able to overcome it so she could help a family who is hiding because they did the right thing. It’s a really good book, and I definitely recommend it as your next read. 

(Back of book summary)

Nicki Demere is an orphan and a pickpocket. She is also the U.S. Marshals best bet at keeping a family alive…….

“The Marshals are looking for the perfect girl to join a mother, father, and son on the run from the nation’s most notorious bad guys. After all, the bad guys are searching for a family with one kid, not two, and adding a streetwise girl who knows a little bit about hiding things may be just what the marshals need. Nicki swears she can keep the Trevor family safe, but to do so she’ll have to dodge hitmen, cyberbullies, and the specter of standardized testing, all while maintaining her marshal-mandated B-minus average. As she barely balances the responsibilities of her new identity, Nicki learns that the biggest threats to her family’s security might not lurk on the road from New York to North Carolina, but rather in her own past.”